Timing of Publication
Applicant must be working on completion for publication of an English language book (non-fiction).
Proof of Publishing Contract
Applicant must agree to submit proof of a publishing contract and a copy of the book proposal sent to the publishers.
Applicant must be a continuing resident of Canada and at the date of application lived in Canada for the last twelve months.
70% Freelancer Requirement
Applicant must be working a minimum of seventy per cent of their work time as a self-employed freelance writer.
Online Only Publication
Submissions that are to be published on the Internet will be accepted as long as the writer meets all other applicable eligibility requirements of the Call for Submissions.
Submissions that are to be only self-published are not eligible.
Award winners are asked to agree to make a considered effort to acknowledge this prize upon publication and to acknowledge the Dave Greber Freelance Writing Awards in the published work and when interviewed by media about the winning submission.
back to top
The following submission requirements apply for book submissions:
- The book chapter and accompanying documentation can be sent either by regular mail or in PDF files.
- If submitting by regular mail include five printed copies of a chapter. There should be no identifying information other than the title of the work. All other eligibility and submission requirements must be met.
- If submitting in PDF format: Two files must be submitted. One PDF submission should be a chapter of the book and is to have only the title of the work and no other identifying information. The second PDF file is to contain the remainder of the documentation to fulfill the eligibility criteria in the call for submissions for books.
- To ensure that the files have been received, the writer must send a separate email indicating that the submission is being sent via Internet.
- Regardless of how the chapter is submitted, it must be the actual submission of the self-authored book that represents the work being readied for the publication named in the contract.
- Include a one-page description of your life and work.
- Include a list of your published works.
- Provide complete contact information (name, address, mailing address, telephone numbers and email address).
back to top
- Awards are made in the form of cash prizes.
- One prize will be awarded in the sum of $5000.00. However, if there are two entries of equal merit, an award of $2500.00 will be granted to each writer.
- If in the opinion of the jury members no work merits an award, no award will be given.
All aspects of submissions are assessed by jury on a competitive basis and the decisions of the judges regarding all aspects of the award are final.