Call For Submissions
Dave Greber Freelance Writers Book And Magazine Awards
As of 2012, the book award is valued at five thousand dollars and the magazine award is valued at two thousand dollars. Both awards are made available to freelance writers of non-fiction for social justice writing that is exceptionally written, well researched and demonstrates excellence of storytelling. The Book and Magazine awards provide financial support while the writer completes a book or magazine project for publication.
Writers of books on social justice are asked to satisfy the criteria set out in the Call for Submissions and Competition Guidelines for Book Award below.
Writers of magazine articles on social justice are asked to satisfy the criteria set out in the Call for Submissions and Competition Guidelines for the Magazine Award below.
For magazine articles, to be eligible for the 2013 competition, applicant must either:
Be working on completion for publication of a contracted English language magazine article (non-fiction).
Have published the article any time between Jan 1, 2013 and the closing of the call for submissions Friday June 14, 2013.
Any magazine article published after Friday June 14,2013 must meet the criteria for a magazine article in the process of being readied for publication (See A above).
The winners of each award will be next announced in August of 2013.
To read more about the awards go to About the Awards.
back to top
Call for Submissions and Competition Guidelines for Book Award
- Applicant must be a continuing resident of Canada and at the date of application lived in Canada for the last twelve months.
- Applicant must be working a minimum of seventy per cent of their work time as a self-employed freelance writer.
- Applicant must be working on completion for publication of an English language book (non-fiction).
- Submissions that are to be published on the Internet will be accepted with the proviso that the writer meets all other applicable basic requirements of the Call for Submissions.
- Submissions that are to be self- published are not eligible.
- Applicant must agree to submit proof of a publishing contract and a copy of the book proposal sent to the publishers.
- Applicant must agree to make a considered effort to acknowledge this prize upon publication and to acknowledge the Dave Greber Freelance Writing Awards in the published work and when interviewed by the media about the winning submission.
back to top
- Awards are made in the form of cash prizes.
- One prize will be awarded in the sum of $5000.00. However, if there are two entries of equal merit, an award of $2500.00 will be granted to each writer.
- If in the opinion of the jury members no work merits an award, no award will be given.
- five printed copies of a chapter without identifying information other than the title of the work OR a PDF version of the chapter. If submitting in PDF format, two files must be submitted. The actual submission is to be sent as one PDF file and is to have only the title of the work and no other identifying information. The second PDF file is to contain the remainder of the documentation outlined in the Call for Submissions. To ensure that the files have been received, the writer must send a separate email indicating that the submission is being sent via Internet. Regardless of how the chapter is submitted, it must be the actual submission of the self-authored book that represents the work being readied for the publication named in the contract
- a one-page description of your life and work
- a list of your published works
- complete contact information (name, address, mailing address, telephone numbers and email address)
All aspects of submissions are assessed by jury on a competitive basis and the decisions of the judges regarding all aspects of the award are final.
back to top